Tuesday, September 29, 2009

morphing power

Many people have asked how Josh and I's relationship is going since we live in the same state now. I could say so much! It continues to morph and change in so many different ways as God keeps working in both our lives.

I usually just simplify it and tell people, "It's very different!" That isn't a bad thing. I think a relationship done primarily long distance can only grow so much by phone. Even when we did get to see each other every 6-8 weeks- there was pressure to maximize the time together because of the 15-20 hour window in a weekend. Just as quickly as I came into town, I was leaving. Our relationship felt very much like a dream at times. I found myself questioning, "Is this REAL? Does this guy with a beautiful heart really exist?" I was happy/nervous to end the 9 months of long distance + move closer. But the strangest thing is that even though I'm about 300 miles closer to Josh- the remaining 27 miles between us is maddening. I still feel far away. It still feels like a long distance relationship...but it's not.

Isn't that so human?
We're rarely satisfied with the things in the present.

And so, the nights I leave his house, I try to remind myself of how it used to be and how good we have it now. And the words of my mother (and every other close, wise woman friend) come floating through my head...
"Enjoy the season you're in."

(I sigh to myself on the drive.)
And focus on thanking God for the now.

No comments: