Monday, February 4, 2008

crazy person & little critters

Yesterday was really odd. I had to take the 24/7 hotline overnight for work, and the lady I spoke with- quite interesting. Let's just say a series of grunts connected her words. I had to summon every ounce of my female brain to read between the lines. Successful.
Then, when I got back to the house last night around 11:30pm, I was walking on the sidewalk past the peaceful pond & waterfall when all of a sudden, I froze in fear. There a 3 ft possum sat perched on top of the thin frozen layer of pond watching me walk. Calmly I told myself, "Keep walking. 4 more steps and you can close the gate behind you." I made it and breathed a sigh of relief after closing the back door. Safely inside.
Or so I thought....
I stood in the kitchen writing a note to the Grindahl's about the giant man-eating possum when I noticed two beady little eyes staring up at me. The note went something like this:

(Let the record show 2.3.08 11:40pm)
I know what's killing your outdoor fishes. Some may think it's the subzero conditions, but I know better. Why, you may ask? Because I saw a giant 3-foot possum perched on top of the ice clawing for food. In fact, I came face-to-face with him. The most scary moment of my life. Adding to my misery, as I write this there are two beady little eyes staring up at me. I'm terrified. I have to go stuff towels under my doors.
-The frazzled lady from beneath
I slowly backed up and ran all the way downstairs. Slamming the door behind me and stuffing a towel under the door crack (aka Mouse Gate). Since I had the 24/7 hotline all night, I decided to tuck my pants in my socks and sleep with boots on just in case I had to go upstairs and answer my phone in the middle of the night. This morning Glen left a note on the door for me. It went something like this:
(2.4.08 5AM)
Wow. Thanks for the critter update. I guess it's time to pull out my shotgun and set the mouse traps. Just wondered where you saw the little mouse so I can be plotting my best tricks.
- The Man from Upstairs
Did I sleep well? No. Every little noise woke me up. I started feeling the walls to make sure there weren't small rodents burrowing through them. Rough night. It'll be nice when we can nip this problem in the bud.

No comments: