Friday, October 24, 2008

chicken nuggets all in a row

I'm feeling very inspired and chatty today.

Because I've become super involved at my church (which is AWESOME, by the way) I have been meeting alot of people. Sometimes these people ask me if I'm involved with a Sunday School class. Which I'm not. I feel slightly guilty about this for some reasons:

1. I was ALWAYS in Sunday school growing up. It wasn't even an option to skip. (Except for sometimes Danny and I would because we'd get to church 30 minutes late, and it was really embarrassing to walk in a classroom when everyone is facing the door. So we'd both head to our respective gender bathrooms and wait for the last 15 minutes to tick down.)
2. I do want to be involved in a group and learn. It's not that I'm anti-social but here's my beef- WHY do I want to be lumped together with a group of peers who are all equally confused about this awkward transition part of life? WHY can't I go to an elderly people's class and learn with them?!
3. Why do all 20-something groups feel like a single's awareness class?! I just want to go and learn, but I can't because I walk in, and I feel like a piece of NeW single meat dangling in front of all the awkwardly single men...
4. PLUS- because I plan to move on in a year or so, I don't want to form new friendships that will just be getting started and then End. Abruptly.

I'm not trying to close off or protect my heart --> as some people have eluded to. I just want to be happy in the worship service surrounded by the teens I serve on Wednesday nights. I want to focus my passions and sluff off the other things.

As long as I'm here, I should say that I believe very strongly in community. I don't think church is suppose to be without it. Contrary to what our culture teaches, no man is an island. We need the body of believers to encourage, challenge, and call us out on things. I think it's okay to get that community support from my other friend groups.

So goodbye guilt. I still love Jesus. I just choose to be learning and growing outside of the Sunday school realm.

No comments: